Industrial Safety Cooling Apparel: Beat the heat, and boost productivity
Many industrial environments subject workers to extreme heats. Jobs in the construction industry, working on the road or in a foundry can be brutally hot occupations, especially during the oppressive heat of the Indian summer. Sweltering workplace environments put workers at risk of heat stress and fatigue, which can lead to heat stroke – a potentially fatal condition.
Not only does heat stress affect the health and safety of the worker, but it can also cause worker errors and lost working days, all decreasing the productivity of the company. At India Cool Forever, we are committed to improving India’s summertime productivity and GDP, by helping workers avoid heat stress with TechNiche International’s cooling vests and cooling apparel, and ensuring work days are never again cut short by excessive temperatures.
How to use our industrial safety cooling apparel
How to use the TechKewl technology:
- Submerge PCM inserts and place in a freezer until solid or in ice water for up to 45 minutes.
- Return inserts to garment pockets.
- Wear; repeat steps as needed (or use additional inserts for continuous relief).
How to use the HyperKewl technology:
- Simply submerge the product in water for 1-2 minutes;
- Gently squeeze out any excess water;
- Dry off the inside of the vest so you’ll stay dry,
Heat stress at the workplace
Heat stroke is the most serious heat-related disorder. It occurs when the body becomes unable to control its temperature: the body’s temperature rises rapidly, the sweating mechanism fails, and the body is unable to cool down. When heat stroke occurs, the body temperature can rise to 41ºC or higher within 10 to 15 minutes. Heat stroke can cause death or permanent disability if emergency treatment is not given.
Some of the danger signals are:
- Hot, dry skin or profuse sweating
- Perspiring has stopped
- Throbbing headache
- High body temperature
- Slurred speech
If you suspect someone is suffering from heat stroke:
- Remove the victim from the heat.
- Remove the victim’s clothing and place him or her in a cool bath, if possible (or apply cool compresses to the body).
- Seek medical attention immediately.
- Give fluids.
- Give aspirin or any other medication to lower the fever.
- Give any stimulant, including alcohol or cigarettes.
- Apply ice directly to the skin.
- Allow the victim to become so cold that he or she shivers.
- Leave the victim alone.
How to avoid heat stress injury.
Our TechKewl cooling vests cool the core body temperature, so the risks of heat stress is considerably decreased. In addition the following should be followed:
- Drink fluids often.
- Gradually build up your tolerance for warmer conditions.
- Stay fit and don’t overestimate your fitness level.
- Make sure you’re aware of any medical conditions you have that may affect your tolerance of heat, as well as of the effects of medications you’re taking.
- Dress appropriately within the guidelines of safety.
Thermal imaging of our industrial safety cooling apparel
The thermal images below show a person working next to a furnace (working environment is 80ºC).
– When not wearing a cooling vest the workers would work 1 hr shifts with 30 minute breaks.
– Wearing a TechKewl Cooling Vest the workers were able to work 3 hr shifts, with a 15 min break.
– Overall the workers felt far more comfortable, and were able to be more productive.
– To download the full case study, click on the following link.